My whole fascination with smoothies began with this recipe for a pumpkin pie smoothie. Last fall I was in love with anything pumpkin flavored (who wasn't?!), and I had a variation of that smoothie many, many times.
Pinterest only fueled my recipe box with more and more smoothie recipes. I'm so thankful to have Pinterest at my fingertips whenever I need inspiration for a new smoothie. Today I experimented with some protein powder I picked up at Trader Joe's last week. The brand I bought is called Designer Whey French Vanilla protein powder, but I'm sure any protein powder will do. Here's the recipe.
Berry Protein Perfection
Approximately 250 calories :)
|My favorite protein powder & smoothie|
- 1 frozen banana, sliced ahead of time
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries (I use Trader Joe's Organic berry mix)
- handful of spinach (about a cup and a half, loosely packed)
1. Put all the ingredients in the blender, adding only little water initially. I usually try to put the frozen ingredients in first so they're on the bottom and blend easier.
2. Blend for only 30 seconds at a time, adding water to make it smoother as needed. My blender is not the best! If you have a better blender, you probably don't need to do this. I find I only have to blend things slowly if I use multiple frozen ingredients versus just one.
3. Pour & Enjoy!
Sometimes I also add wheat germ just because I like the texture. This smoothie was really creamy, despite there being no milk or yogurt in it. It was just sweet enough with adding any sweetener. I'll definitely make it again.
If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear what you think of it!